Ice Cubes’ Friday franchise is finally getting its last installment.
Videos by According2HipHop
New Line Cinema CEO Confirms ‘Last Friday’
The series that follows the life of two families in Los Angeles has been cleared for production. In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter earlier this week, New Line Cinema’s Chief Operating Officer, Richard Brener confirmed that “Last Friday” is officially in the works.
“We are making another Friday. We just closed a deal with Ice Cube to write and star. It’s going to be called Last Friday,” Brener said to the outlet.
In an interview with Flava Flav in 2024, Ice Cube revealed that movie production giant, Warner Brothers Studios, being under new leadership was a key component in Cube making “Last Friday” a reality.
“We finally got some traction with Warner Bros.,” he said. “They have new leadership. My man Mike DeLuca, who used to be at New Line when I first started, when I first did the first Friday and Players Club and All About the Benjamins — Mike DeLuca was there, so now he’s running Warner Bros.”
Comedian Mike Epps, who played Day Day in Next Friday and Friday After Next, was the first to publicly announce that Ice Cube had secured the deal.
During an interview on Power 105.1, he also added that he hopes Chris Tucker will rejoin the franchise for its final installment.
“Hopefully we can get Chris Tucker in it. We need to get Chris Tucker in that because people still love Chris Tucker,” Epps said “He’s still Smokey. He laid it down. He positioned me to do it. Chris, if you are listening: we need ya, baby boy. Come on back!”
Nearly 23 years have elapsed since Friday After Next was released. Naturally, many of the original members, such as Craig’s father, played by John Witherspoon have passed away. So it will be interesting to see how they cast the film.
